The main Virginia Tech campus is located in Blacksburg, Virginia, about 40 miles southwest of Roanoke, Virginia. Use 965 Prices Fork Road or the intersection of University City Boulevard and Prices Fork Road, Blacksburg, VA 24060 as a destination for online routing and mapping software and GPS devices. This is the location of the Visitor and Undergraduate Admissions Center.
For information on the Squires Student Center, please visit the Virginia Tech About Buildings Page: http://www.vt.edu/about/buildings/squires-student-center.html. Maps of campus can be downloaded by visiting the Virginia Tech Maps and Directions Page: http://www.vt.edu/where_we_are/maps/index.html.
Participants are responsible for their own lodging. A block of lodging rooms has been reserved at the Holiday Inn Hotel - University Blacksburg located within walking distance of the Virginia Tech campus. A special rate of $95 per room per night plus applicable taxes has been reserved for symposium attendees. To reserve your room, please call the hotel directly at 540-552-7001 and mention you are attending Latin American Music Symposium. Reservations can also be made online through The hotel's web site at Holiday Inn reservations using the access code "Mus". This special rate is available only until January 21, 2013 or until the block fills.
Traveling by Car
To reach the campus from Interstate 81 (southbound and northbound):
- Take Exit 118 to reach the exit ramps for all three of the exits at this location. There is only one exit ramp serving the exits; missing the ramp means a trip north to Exit 128 or south to Exit 114 to turn around
- Take Exit 118B onto U.S. 460 West. This exit connects directly to the Christiansburg Bypass. Follow the signs for Blacksburg/Virginia Tech. The U.S. 460 bypass between Blacksburg and Christiansburg is a limited-access highway from I-81 to the campus entrance.
- To reach the Visitor and Undergraduate Admissions Center, continue on U.S. 460 for 8.5 miles to the Prices Fork Road exit for "Downtown." Turn right at the first traffic light on Prices Fork Road.
- Take an immediate right into the Visitor and Undergraduate Admissions Center.
- To reach downtown Blacksburg, continue on Price's Fork Road until it ends at North Main Street. Turn right onto Main Street to reach downtown proper.
To reach the campus from Interstate 77 (northbound):
Take exit 32 onto I-81 North. Continue for about 29 miles and follow the directions above for Interstate 81 northbound.
To reach the campus from Interstate 77/West Virginia Turnpike (southbound):
- In West Virginia, take Exit 9, "U.S. 460-Princeton/Pearisburg, VA." Turn left at the stoplight at the end of the ramp onto U.S. 460 East.
- Continue on U.S. 460 East for about 44.9 miles (11.6 in W.Va., 33.3 in Virginia). Take the Toms Creek Road exit. Turn left onto Toms Creek Road.
- Turn right onto University City Boulevard at the first traffic light. Continue on University City Boulevard for about 1.2 miles until reaching the Prices Fork intersection (second light on University City Boulevard). Go straight at the light.
- To reach downtown Blacksburg, turn left on Prices Fork Road. Follow it until it ends at North Main Street. Turn right onto Main Street to reach downtown proper.
Traveling by Plane
Roanoke Regional Airport http://www.roanokeairport.com/ in Roanoke, Virginia, is served by major domestic airlines.
The Smart Way Bus http://www.smartwaybus.com/offers regularly scheduled service between the airport and Squires Student Center in Blacksburg.
Roanoke Airport Limousine Service http://www.roanokeats.com/ provides transportation between the airport and campus.
Traveling by Train or Bus
Train: Amtrak http://www.amtrak.com/home passes through Virginia and West Virginia on several routes, but the station stops are several hours away from Blacksburg. Lynchburg is a stop for the Crescent and Northeast Regional service. Charlottesville. Staunton, and Clifton Forge, plus stations in southern West Virginia (White Sulfur Springs, Alderson, and Hinton) are all stops for the Cardinal. Another station is located in Danville, in addition to Union Station in Washington, D.C.
Bus: Greyhound Bus Lines http://www.greyhound.com/ serves the Blacksburg area via a stop in Roanoke at the Campbell Court bus station downtown. The Smart Way Bus http://www.smartwaybus.com/ offers regularly scheduled service between Campbell Court and Squires Student Center in Blacksburg. Greyhound also stops in Wytheville (service to Christiansburg and Pulaski has been discontinued).